Saluting the Lost Mints of the United States...
Old San Francisco Mint Full Color $2 Bill
In 1849, the miners of the California Gold Rush found so much gold that President James Polk asked Congress to allow a California branch Mint. In 1854, the first $20 Gold Double Eagle was struck with the San Francisco mint mark, but demand for coinage soon became so great that a new facility was needed, and a new building in the Greek Revival style was opened in 1874. Known as the “Granite Lady”, it was so secure that it was one of the few buildings to survive the San Francisco Earthquake and Fire of 1906 – fortunate since it was stocked with $300 million in U.S. gold reserves at the time! The Granite Lady went on to mint some of the most memorable and collected coins in our history until it closed forever in 1937, ensuring that it may be gone, but will never be forgotten.
To honor the Old San Francisco Mint, as the first release in our “Lost Mints” collection, NCM has taken crisp, uncirculated U.S. legal tender $2 bills direct from sealed Treasury packs, then enhanced them with a full-color images of the original “Granite Lady.” Along with the reverse design of the first San Francisco $20 Double Eagle gold coin featured in the portrait oval – and yes, the magical “S” mint mark and twenty dollar denomination - it's the Old San Francisco Mint Full Color $2 Bill.
Each bill arrives in a protective sleeve and is accompanied by a Certificate of Authenticity attesting to its legal tender status. Makes a wonderful gift or add it to your own collection.
Actual size is approx 156 mm x 66 mm